Monday, April 6, 2009

STI: Mee pok man

April 5, 2009

Mee pok man

After three years in Singapore, Dorin Schuster says he could eat flat noodles the rest of his life

By Fiona Low 

 

German chef Dorin Schuster worked in Singapore for just three years from 2004 to 2007, but it was enough for him to fall in love with local cuisine. He names minced pork mee pok as the one dish he could eat for the rest of his life.

 

'I love Singapore food,' he says. 'It is very different from German food because we don't use ingredients such as chilli and coconut in our dishes.'

 

Today, he helms the kitchens of The Legian, a five-star hotel in Bali, as executive chef. He says it was his wanderlust that led him to become a chef.

 

'I love travelling and experiencing different cuisines and cultures. So when I was 17, I decided to leave school to start an apprenticeship as a chef at a small family-run restaurant in south Germany,' recalls the 40-year-old.

 

The former executive chef of Iggy's at the Regent Singapore was voted Chef of the Year at the World Gourmet Summit in 2007. He returns this year to present some of his dishes at the World Gourmet Summit from April 19 to May 2.

 

What can Singaporeans look forward to from you at this year's World Gourmet Summit?

 

There will be a lot of foie gras in my dishes, but I won't tell you more, so that you will be surprised.

 

What is your favourite smell in the kitchen?

 

The smell of freshly grated yuzu, a citrus fruit from East Asia.

 

Who inspired your passion for cooking?

 

My mother, definitely. When I was young, all the food we ate was homemade and my mother was very quality driven. She experimented a lot with food and liked to try new things. She was very inspiring that way.

 

People assume all Germans like beer and sausages. Do you?

 

I do like beer, but I actually prefer wine. I also enjoy sausages from time to time because they remind me of home. But I could probably live without them.

 

What is the strangest thing you have eaten?

 

I once ate fried bugs but I did not really enjoy them.

 

What German food would you recommend to a first-time visitor?

 

Weisswurst, or Bavarian sausages made from finely minced veal and fresh pork bacon. They are eaten with German pretzels and a white beer before noon.

 

What is your favourite German dish?

 

Rostbraten, which is a ribeye or striploin steak with sauteed onions and served with roasted potatoes and gravy. I like the simplicity and richness of the dish.

 

What is your philosophy when it comes to cooking and food?

 

Use fresh ingredients, simple preparation methods and precise execution.

 

What do your three children, aged five to 18, enjoy eating?

 

They all have completely different preferences, but no junk food. They all eat vegetables and salads. Also, the rule is that whatever their mother cooks has to be finished.

 

As a chef, what do you think is the most essential tool in the kitchen?

 

A sharp knife for precise cuts.

 

What is your signature dish?

 

Scallop sashimi and cured foie gras with fresh herbs and yuzu lime zest. Fresh Hokkaido scallops are thinly sliced and marinated with sea salt, pepper and yuzu lime, then served with cured foie gras.

 

WHAT WOULD YOUR LAST MEAL BE?

 

Anything that my wife cooks, because it is always made with so much love.

No comments: