Saturday, November 3, 2007

Crepe House

Crepe House
1 Jurong West Central 2,
02-K3 Jurong Point Shopping Centre
Open: 10am to 10pm daily
Rating: ***

CREPES are thin and light pancakes in theory. But in fact, many of them get soggy and leaden fast from their fillings, even as you are racing against time to eat them.

I once ordered what I believed would be a light breakfast of crepes at a bakery. Two and a half pancakes later, I felt as if I had eaten a horse and almost went into a food coma.

So the sweet and savoury crepes at the Crepe House stand in Jurong Point Shopping Centre are a surprise.

The skins are as thin as popiah skins but tastier: They are eggy, moist and deliciously soft.

The fillings have a base of mayo, fresh cream or custard but taste light. You feel you can wolf down a few of these rolls without getting comatose.

And I did just that the other night, when I went to the stand with two friends and we had dinner on the spot - straight out of paper cones. (For the record, we didn't get any food on our clothes but I did get some on my face and fingers.)

I began by taking bites of my friends' ham and cheese sandwich ($5.80) and tuna and egg sandwich ($5.80).

Both were good meaty, creamy mixes of textures and tastes. But my bratwurst sandwich ($6.50) was even better. The sausage was succulent and satisfying with sweet mayo, crisp lettuce and silky crepe.

I also had the lion's share of dessert. We asked for one crepe with strawberries, strawberry sauce and fresh cream ($4.80), one with sweet bean paste and fresh cream ($4.80) and one with Japanese chestnut paste and chocolate ice cream ($5.50) - and I ate most of them.

I have always been partial to the lovely, layered chocolate chestnut parfait ($9.80++) from Sun With Moon Japanese Dining & Cafe. The crepe with chestnut puree felt a little like that parfait to me except it was cheaper. Perfect.

Crepe House is a Japanese chain brought in by businessman Mave Yeo. The master franchisee in Singapore plans to set up 10 to 15 shops.

The crepes are made here by his staff, he says, but the batter is from Japan.

So are ingredients including fresh cream, custard, sweet bean paste and chestnut paste.

They have been flown all this way so you need not go too far for a few good crepes.

(Published in Straits Times, October 28, 2007)

No comments: